Author Topic: REFUGIO 2011 & STEPHENVILLE 2012  (Read 3670 times)

Offline HTIGFAN

• Freshman
REFUGIO 2011 & STEPHENVILLE 2012
« on: March 02, 2012, 12:34:39 AM »
The potential problem.

Week 05 - 10/05 - open
Week 06 - 10/12 - 7:30: vs Glen Rose *
Week 07 - 10/19 - 7:30: @ Alvarado *
Week 08 - 10/26 - 7:30: vs Venus *
Week 09 - 10/02 - 7:30: @ Hillsboro *
Week 10 - 11/09 - Bye Week

With Stephenville winning district, which is very likely. There will be 6 out of 7 weeks for Stephenville in which the game will be decided well before halftime.  Only the Alvarado game will likely have the starters playing four quarters.  Counting the bye in Week 10 and 1rst round bye given to the District Champ.  That will be nearly two months the starters will not play a full game.  How will the Jacket's coaching staff handle this.

In 2A, Refugio got put in such a week district in 2010 and 2011.  The result was in 2010 Refugio starters were winded when they got into a dogfight in a playoff game, and eventually lost.  The big reason accoriding to Refugio's coaching staff is that they pulled their starters at half nearly every game.  So when the playoffs came around the players were not used to and not prepared for 4 quarters of play. 

So in 2011, Refugio coach decided to have the starters play untill the start of the 4th quarter no matter. what the score was.  The results were scores of 91-6, 84-0, and so-on.  This method got national attention.  Not the good kind either.  Refugio did win State last year doing this.

I feel Stephenville will be in the same situation this year. What does the coaching staff do.  It is a no win situation.  Do you pull starters at the half, and keep the score somewhat respectfull.  Do you keep the starters in longer, and run up the score and lose a lot of people's respect in the process.  I'm quoting one Refugio fan, " Refugio won State, but I can't put on my State Chamionship shirt on because of shame on the way it was done."

I personally hopes Stephenville wins State, and does it with class by not running up the score.

Offline Ville-D

• Administrator
  • All-State
Re: REFUGIO 2011 & STEPHENVILLE 2012
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 03:49:57 AM »
I think the coaching staff will be on top of this. Scores might be a little high, but I don't think they will be trying to embarrass anyone. (except maybe Aledo or Brownwood if we get that match up  >:D )

Offline dawg daddy

• All-State
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 04:50:57 AM »
i believe it was a great plan.  as for the high scores, the other team could have quit, called the game or any other way you want to put it.  you can't tell 2nd, 3rd teamers or playoff add-ons not to score.  as for the "fan", i'd tell to relocate his A$$!!! the duh0s are always open for business................. ;D
"I COULD BEAT UP MY LIL BROTHER TOO!!!!!!" & "Big Un's profile pic is stupid!!!"

Offline Acat123

• Varsity
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 10:31:41 AM »
I think the coaching staff will be on top of this. Scores might be a little high, but I don't think they will be trying to embarrass anyone. (except maybe Aledo or Brownwood if we get that match up  >:D )

Speaking of embarrass, remember that day last December, when the rains came and all the BS was washed away?  I would mention the score, but I promised I wouldn't post it anymore on here and hurt your feelings. >:D

Offline HTIGFAN

• Freshman
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 11:20:47 AM »
I hear some players in Hillsboro and Venus have quit off-season work outs.  Hillsboro is looking for a new head coach.  This will make things worse.

In my opinon this shows lack of character on the players part.  What if the world said, " When the tough get going, I quit"

Offline jacket98,99

• Junior Varsity
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 01:29:23 PM »
In most cases players relfect the attitude of the leadership they are under.  With that being said, i know nothing about the staffs of Hillsboro and Venus so it wouldn't be fair to go any further. 

Offline 84dive

• Junior Varsity
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 11:07:43 PM »
Not much you can do about the schedule. Welcome to the aledo world. BTW alvarado will be a blowout too. Sville by 40+

Offline Mowdy Ag

• Junior High
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 09:40:37 AM »
Refugio fan here, although I left my hometown and alma mater many years ago.  Let me say that I feel no shame whatsoever for Coach Herring's 2011 strategy.  If you look at it in the vacuum of the 2011 season, it certainly looks brutal.  If you look at it from the perspective of Refugio's long playoff history, it makes perfect sense.  The Bobcats have been regulars in the playoffs since the late 1960's when they played in the same district with the likes of Cuero, Gregory-Portland, and other schools with over twice their enrollment.  Those Bobcat teams were well prepared for their playoff runs by the strength of competition in those districts when only one team advanced.  Since then, Refugio's enrollment has declined along with its lifeblood, the local oil fields.  One problem though - and it's a good one to have - the Bobcat football team has not.  The competition, however, has plummeted.  Instead of warming up against the Cuero Gobblers (with whom they have an 11-11 all time record), they prepare for the playoffs against the likes of Freer...  ...essentially no tuneup at all.  Consequently, year after year, decade after decade since the mid-1980's Refugio has steamrolled through district in most years, often pulling starters well before halftime.   ...and year after year, decade after decade they struggled deep in the playoffs when starters were pushed to the limit for four full quarters.  ...until this year. 

A change of coaching strategy.

A changed outcome.

Coincidence? 

I think not.

...an FWIW, with the exception of Refugio, there seems to be little real interest in football - or improving programs - in weak District 16.  That is not Refugio's problem - but today's everyone-should-get-a-trophy mentality has tried to make it their problem.  After all, it's always easier to blame someone else for your own failure, isn't it?

Kudo's to Coach Herring, his staff, and the Refugio Bobcats.

It does sound as if Stephenville will find itself in a similar situation this year.  Good luck with that...

MA

Offline hat42

• Junior Varsity
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 02:52:41 PM »
I think Refugio out scored Aledo last year by only 7 points , and Aledo was pulling starters