Author Topic: Am I the only one  (Read 5444 times)

Offline JacketFanAtTSU

• Junior High
Am I the only one
« on: December 02, 2011, 02:40:49 PM »
That hates seeing two state champions being crowned for each UIL classification?  I'd much rather just have two teams advance into the playoffs from each district and have one true state champion than having four teams advance and have them split up into DI and DII.

Offline tsparger72

• Junior Varsity
Re: Am I the only one
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 03:08:11 PM »
That hates seeing two state champions being crowned for each UIL classification?  I'd much rather just have two teams advance into the playoffs from each district and have one true state champion than having four teams advance and have them split up into DI and DII.

I agree I think the playoffs are too long and would like to see one true state champion out of each classification.
GO JACKETS!!!

Offline Ville-D

• Administrator
  • All-State
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 03:24:18 PM »
It is all about the Money.  More teams more money.

O0

Offline rjohnson76401

• Junior High
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 03:33:40 PM »
I agree, too many playoff teams, too many "champions.."  I saw on Fox Sports Southwest a few weeks ago where 2 teams had a chance of making playoffs with a 2-8 record, and 1 almost with a 1-9 record  (don't ask me to explain, that's what they said though.)  When we won back in the 1990's (I graduated in 94) I did like that there was no D1 and D2 except in 5 A.  Now we have 1A big school and small school.  1A big school....really....lol

BTW, I'm gonna miss the game due to a soccer tournament  in Frisco, where can we catch it on the radio up that way?  Or is there any way to stream on Android?

Thanks, RJ

Offline jason

• Varsity
    • Stephenville Computers
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
two 2-8 teams made the playoffs from the same district this year...think it was a region 3 or 4 5a district...

Offline Old 76

• All-State
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 04:34:15 PM »
I liked it better the way it used to be when only the district champ went to the playoffs.  Today that would require more classifications because there are more schools and more kids now but what's wrong with a 8-A or 10-A.  50 years ago 4-A was the largest classification.  Having only 1 SC per classification now would be totally inequitable to the smaller schools within each classification.  Example, Stephenville with an enrollment of under 1000 kids vs Lake Travis at or above 2000.  I've seen both teams play this year and believe me S-Ville would have a very difficult time staying on the field with them as Aledo did.

Offline tsparger72

• Junior Varsity
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 04:43:53 PM »
I agree, too many playoff teams, too many "champions.."  I saw on Fox Sports Southwest a few weeks ago where 2 teams had a chance of making playoffs with a 2-8 record, and 1 almost with a 1-9 record  (don't ask me to explain, that's what they said though.)  When we won back in the 1990's (I graduated in 94) I did like that there was no D1 and D2 except in 5 A.  Now we have 1A big school and small school.  1A big school....really....lol

BTW, I'm gonna miss the game due to a soccer tournament  in Frisco, where can we catch it on the radio up that way?  Or is there any way to stream on Android?

Thanks, RJ

If you go to the app. section on your smart phone you can download TUNE IN radio app free.Then type in Mighty 93.1 and you can listen to the game

Offline jason

• Varsity
    • Stephenville Computers
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 04:44:56 PM »
I liked it better the way it used to be when only the district champ went to the playoffs.  Today that would require more classifications because there are more schools and more kids now but what's wrong with a 8-A or 10-A.  50 years ago 4-A was the largest classification.  Having only 1 SC per classification now would be totally inequitable to the smaller schools within each classification.  Example, Stephenville with an enrollment of under 1000 kids vs Lake Travis at or above 2000.  I've seen both teams play this year and believe me S-Ville would have a very difficult time staying on the field with them as Aledo did.

having up to 10A would be the same as having two divisions in each class up to 5A....

If you want one from each then keep classifications like they are (through 5A), have 3 teams make the playoffs, the district champ gets a bye, and you play it off until only 1 remains...

Offline Beedad

• Freshman
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 04:49:51 PM »
Exactly! That's what would help make it fair and keep schools in all classes from playing some one with twice their enrollment!
On a apartisan note doesn't Aledo have 500 more young men to choose from than the Ville? See- First game this season!

And some of you think Aledo has the best coaching staff. Hmmmmm  Edge-Ville
Just couldn't help myself OL 76!

Offline tsparger72

• Junior Varsity
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 05:09:37 PM »
It would not be right with Stephenville only having 999 students to have to play a school 2500 students in the playoffs.
Though it is kind of crazy how all the teams in our district other than us have over 2000 students.
To me that shows the strength of THA VILLE ???

Offline aledofanalso

• Junior Varsity
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 05:28:20 PM »
I completely disagree with most of you.  This is a great system for a state as large as Texas.  We could have 10 or 12 classifications and one champion each but that would involve tremendous additional travel for much of the less populated parts of the state.  Illinois has 8 classifications and a state less than half of the size.
There are certainly inequities but this is almost as good as it can be without teams traveling hundreds of miles for district games.  The one class that is the most unequal is 3A which you may soon be benefitting from.  It is much easier for a 1000 student school to play a 2000 student school than a 475 playing a 950. 
Also, the problem is getting worse as the cities and suburbs continue to grow and the rural areas decline in population.  Having a larger spread in district and a smaller average spread in the playoffs makes it more fair not less.  There are always isolated inequities that one could point out but it has worked much better with two D1's and 2D'2 from each district.  Remember those years that we had to play Denton Ryan because Denton had 10 more students?  Schools of every size now have a chance.
One last thing.  La Marque almost one a state title last year and they tied for forth in District.  Many teams grow and progress more than others as the year progresses.

Offline Old 76

• All-State
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 06:38:09 PM »
Exactly! That's what would help make it fair and keep schools in all classes from playing some one with twice their enrollment!
On a apartisan note doesn't Aledo have 500 more young men to choose from than the Ville? See- First game this season!And some of you think Aledo has the best coaching staff. Hmmmmm  Edge-Ville
Just couldn't help myself OL 76!

Aledo does have about 450 more students than S-Ville but they're not all young men and they all don't come out for football.

Offline GoCatGo

• Junior High
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 07:40:27 PM »
IMO only district champ and runner up should qualify for playoffs.  50 percent of teams in the state qualifying is ridiculous. Now, if the two would go winners bracket/losers bracket or big school/small school will take a little more thought.  Your thoughts?

Offline Old 76

• All-State
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 08:00:56 PM »
It would not be right with Stephenville only having 999 students to have to play a school 2500 students in the playoffs.
Though it is kind of crazy how all the teams in our district other than us have over 2000 students.
To me that shows the strength of THA VILLE ???

Well, not really:
Lake View............1,197
University.............1,297
Waco....................1,657
Killeen...................1,829
Midway.................1,969

Offline Ville-D

• Administrator
  • All-State
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 08:21:51 PM »
Not sure where you dug those numbers up old man...

SA Lake View      1,220
Waco U              1,431.5
Waco                 1,479
Killeen High        2,192.5
Midway              2,127
Stephenville         999

Aledo                1,544

These are the numbers turned in in October

Numbers can be found here:

http://stephenvilleyellowjackets.com/index.php?topic=702.msg3323#msg3323

O0

« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 12:27:04 AM by Ville-D »