Author Topic: All State  (Read 3654 times)

Offline 64sDad

• Junior High
All State
« on: December 18, 2012, 12:29:33 PM »
Just got a call from big #64 and he was told he was named 1st Team All State AP. He was pretty stoked. Hope it's ok to tell everyone. If not, I may be in trouble.

Offline jacket98,99

• Junior Varsity
Re: All State
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 12:47:56 PM »
shouldn't be a big deal. that is officially announced tomorrow anyway.  That's awesome, he had a great year!

Offline 64sDad

• Junior High
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 12:59:58 PM »
Just saw it posted on DFW Varsity website.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/12/18/4493190/stephenville-lands-8-on-3a-all.html

I cannot believe Jonesy and Gunter are only honorable mention. Something wrong with that deal.

Offline Cody

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • All-State
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 01:30:51 PM »
The AP all-state is based only on regular season stats and performances. The TSWA all-state team is the one that Dave Campbell's uses. It takes the whole season including playoffs into account.

It is a great accomplishment and honor to be on any all-state team. Congrats to Ole Big #64, a well deserved honor and to Varnado for making the first team as well.

Offline Jacket 06

• Junior High
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 01:54:25 PM »
I don't think that 64 gets enough credit. So this is good! Number6 from EC couldn't do much with him in SC game. And also why was our offence so good ? We know it starts up front and Tyler would be first to tell you that ( I think ) . However, WITH OUT A DOUGHT !!! We all know also how great Tyler really is and also our entire receiving core. PROUD OF ALL THESE GUYS!! This is what you call a TRUE TEAM!!!  IMO.

Offline Jacket 06

• Junior High
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 02:09:35 PM »
Wow!!!! Just read entire article ! I sure wish I knew how AP votes! Jones and Gunter ?  Really? Do these voters actually know football or watch ANY games?

Offline RadioBoots

• Junior Varsity
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 05:08:25 PM »
Realize that most of Jones and Gunter's biggest games came in the playoffs and as Cody pointed out, the playoffs don't count toward the AP team. Wait til the next poll comes out to get a truer picture.

Offline VilleDeal

• Junior High
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 06:17:00 PM »
what a joke...  not using the playoff productivity?? ... lol
u would think they know about internet/immediate communication technology...
Someone should call for a change... as convoluted as the districts are now-adays... why would those stats matter{or those for a weak pre-district schedule as some have for that matter} that much anyway.

Offline whatever

• Junior High
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 06:22:51 PM »
Okay guys, first of all I am from Navasota and partial to our QB.  However, Tyler Jones as Honorable Mention is an insult.  I think there were at least five or six QB's that would have had a chance at first team in most years, but this year was crazy good with QB's.  Jones is the perfect type QB in any system.  He finds a way to win and does not make very many mistakes.  Couple that with great football instincts and he is a complete package.  Like I said, I believe in Baker from Navasota, but there is not alot of room to wiggle between them in my mind---certainly not from first team to honorable mention.  Remember when Navasota stats were posted on 3A downlow---I know from experience that several sports writer troll that message board---they are the voters.  If the stats are in front of them regularly, it can't hurt.  Just saying.

Offline Smitty

• MVP
  • Varsity
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 07:24:21 PM »
They should not be voters if they make thier minds up by trolling 3adownlow, this is absolutley a joke!
Obey all flashing signal lights and stay off the tracks......The Stephenville Pain Train is Rolling!

Offline whatever

• Junior High
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 12:10:12 AM »
They are sportswriters from papers all over Texas.  They depend on many sources to find stats and info on Texas football. I know several of them that are, or have been posters on the 3A Downlow and TheOldCoach.  You see, a sports story may come from anywhere and it is sites like these that give some areas of the state information on other areas and teams.  A sportswriter in southeast Texas has no way to know about a player in west Texas except what he reads.  Right or wrong, that is what it is.  Posting stats and stories from your local papers give these guys insight into what a player may be doing that they may never actually see in real life. By the way, I know one that has been a sportswriter for over twenty years and earned the right to be a voter.  He says that he has to not only read what is said about a poster's own athletes, but what they say about the players on the teams they are playing.  It is the fans and posters here that can tout their own boys and pay compliments to other teams and players that are the information he sees as more credible.  You never know who may be reading what we post and what effect your comments may have.  Insulting the voters will not help, at least the ones I know.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 12:42:21 AM by whatever »

Offline roo78

• Junior High
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 05:11:41 PM »
Whatever,

I agree with your comments.  As a parent of a TSWA first teamer, only to receive HM on the AP and other polls, I get it.  It's a very unforgiving job as a sports writer and they cannot be everywhere all the time.  The upside for all parents in Erath County is the fortunate situation to play in a program such as Stephenville.  Once your child gets beyond the confines of the encouragement of the community, it will become very apparent what a wonderful environment it is. 

Congrats to all the Jackets, staff and parents.