Author Topic: Bearcats 84 Arlington Heights 7  (Read 2784 times)

Offline aledofanalso

• Junior Varsity
Bearcats 84 Arlington Heights 7
« on: September 28, 2013, 12:09:16 AM »
49-0 at the half
70-0 at the end of the third quarter.
Coach Buc was embarrassed but backups kept scoring.

Offline Old 76

• All-State
Re: Bearcats 84 Arlington Heights 7
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 01:34:50 AM »
49-0 at the half
70-0 at the end of the third quarter.
Coach Buc was embarrassed but backups kept scoring.

Yeah, that wasn't very pretty but I don't know what else he could do.  You got to get your starters game experience and I think he had emptied the bench by midway through the third quarter.  That's what I don't like about being in a weak district.

Offline fatboy63

• Junior Varsity
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 01:36:13 AM »
Coach Buc should know how to hold the score down. Punt the ball, run up the middle, etc. Thats a disgrace for High School football. Jackets would like to play them again.

Offline Old 76

• All-State
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 02:05:12 AM »
Coach Buc should know how to hold the score down. Punt the ball, run up the middle, etc. Thats a disgrace for High School football. Jackets would like to play them again.

Punt the ball on first down?  I saw a game in the 60's when Denver City did that very thing and it was more    embarrassing than the score.  At one point the other team caught the punt and punted the ball right back on the run.
If you are speaking for the Jackets I'll speak for the Bearcats, let's do it.  I don't think he threw a pass after the first or second possession in the third and there were 18 different kids that carried the ball.   

Offline Acat123

• Varsity
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 02:11:11 PM »

ALEDO  56      Stephenville  14

Offline Smitty

• MVP
  • Varsity
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 08:57:27 PM »
Aledo is a great team this year period.  They have the talent and they have the depth.  If the Jackets played Aledo again this year the outcome would still be the same, the score might be closer but Aledo would win again.  I'm a Jacket fan all the way, but you have to give it to Aledo this year. Reserves when they get the chance are going to give it all they can and Aledo's reserves are a head above the starters for the other teams in that district.
Obey all flashing signal lights and stay off the tracks......The Stephenville Pain Train is Rolling!

Offline Old 76

• All-State
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 10:54:01 PM »
Kind words Smitty and remember I'm a big Jacket fan when they ain't playin Aledo.  ;D

Offline jason

• Varsity
    • Stephenville Computers
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 08:08:16 AM »
I know this is off topic, but I saw Guyer play against a terrible Azle team.
Aledo is 3+ touchdowns better than Guyer.

Offline Blakkat9

• Junior High
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 10:20:24 AM »
Just FYI (I am not Steve Keck but I did get his permission to post this),

FWISD… Take a Hard Look at Yourself before Blaming Your Opponents
Commentary by Steve Keck- Aledo Sports Daily
Social media sure can stir up some controversies. After Aledo’s 84-7 win over Arlington Heights, a basketball coach in the Ft. Worth ISD tweeted the Bearcat’s point total was a “sorry display of sportsmanship” and coaches in FWISD would be subject to “serious consequences” for running up such a score.
I’m writing about this because the worst is yet to come. O.D. Wyatt is pretty equal to Arlington Heights while Western Hills and Trimble Tech are probably worse teams than Heights.
First of all, it is doubtful a basketball coach from an opposing school actually attended the game he is commenting on. If he did, he may have a slightly different take on his tweet.
The Aledo coaches did everything they could (within the parameters of healthy competition) to keep the score down in the game. The Aledo starters were yanked after just one series each in the third quarter. The bulk of the second half was played by Aledo reserves. I think Aledo threw only two passes in the second half.
The only reasonable option in these situations is for the UIL to institute a mandatory “mercy rule”. TAPPS (Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools) instituted the rule starting this year. If a team is 40 or more points ahead at halftime, the second half has a continuous clock on plays where the clock would normally stop like out-of-bounds, first downs, or incomplete passes. The Texas UIL does not have such a rule on the books.
From ESPN: Not all coaches agree with this rule even if they are on the losing end of blowouts.
Current coaches in TAPPS were not notified or polled on the subject of a mercy rule before the legislation came to be law, which didn't sit well with some coaches, like Dallas Lutheran football coach John Bronkhorst ...
...To Bronkhorst, a 75-point, one-sided game isn’t over at halftime, leaving the last two quarters as a sort of formality. That second half is a lesson in adversity and a chance to gain game-speed practice for the remaining games in the season.
The instances Bronkhorst has been offered the “mercy” of a running clock in the second half, including the 75-0 loss, he has respectfully declined.
“The officials came to me at halftime and asked if I wanted to run the clock and I said, ‘Absolutely not.’ ” Bronkhorst said. “It’s not to be cruel to my team because it’s a teaching opportunity. It’s an opportunity for us to learn in life you’re not going to get bailed out. We need to learn how to overcome adversity, and I can tell you right now, we grew from that game.”
Any other options marginalize the competitive nature of the sport, especially on the varsity level. For example, it seems more demeaning for a team with a big lead to resort to punting on first down or taking a knee on offense. 
These tactics are blatantly unfair to reserve players who work their tails off to compete at the varsity level. Coach Tim Buchanan and the Bearcat coaches have always played the game with fairness and integrity. To have our team called out for being “unsportsmanlike” is not anywhere near the truth.
The only valid objective of our football coaches is to prepare the Bearcats for four quarters of playoff football against the best teams in the state.
Last year, Aledo bowed out of the playoffs 42-30 in the second round of the playoffs to a Denton Guyer team which has a huge advantage playing in a competitive district. Not only do they get sharper playing tough competitions, their starters can go deeper in the games to get in “playoff” shape.
Our coaches should be more focused on how to avoid another playoff loss than how they can keep the scores down. The only teams on the schedule where Aledo starters may get a chance to play three quarters are Southwest and Granbury.
FWISD fans, if you think getting beat 84-7 is the fault of the opposing team “running up the score”, please take a harder look at how your district devalues athletics as a potential revenue producing mechanism.
Before I start this part of my commentary, I’ll point out for most coaches pursue their careers as a labor of love for their profession and their students. While most coaches get paid slightly more to coach, it doesn’t come close to the countless hours these men and women put toward their athletic teams. They coach on top of their classroom duties.
My commentary here is not a knock on FWISD coaches, but a way of management in the district that devalues the potential revenue effects of prosperous athletic programs.
As the saying goes, money talks and you know what walks. The salaries of the highest paid coaches in Texas High School Football barely scratches the surface of the revenue these men contribute to their school districts. Even the highest paid coaches barely make over six figures no matter how much revenue they produce.
There seems to be a stigma of paying revenue producing coaches what they are worth. For example, Euless Trinity coach Steve Lineweaver is one of the highest paid coaches in the area with a salary of $114,413. He is a bargain for Euless because of the revenues he brings into the district. The same goes for Coach Buchanan who gets paid less than Lineweaver and doubles as Athletic Director.
Some of the salaries of Linewaever and Buchanan have to do with their longevity. Lineweaver is in the 20th year as a head coach and Buchanan in in his 21st year. By the way, guess who the top two coaches in Texas are in winning percentage with 200 or more victories? You guessed it! Lineweaver and Buchanan.
It’s not like the Fort Worth ISD doesn’t have the money to pay coaches. They have over 400 employees in the district making more money than their highest paid football coach. The median salary for a JROTC instructor is $ 70,339. The median salary for coaches is $ 52,813. The highest paid coach in Ft. Worth ISD is $ 71,768.
In 2011, the Ft. Worth Star Telegram ran a poll of head coaching salaries in the area. Of 46 schools surveyed, the average in the area was $ 88,420. Bringing the number down were the 13 FWISD coaches who averaged $ 62,436.
To be honest, I think its “unsportsmanlike” the way FWISD has abandoned their players, fans, and coaches by pinching pennies and not recognizing the potential revenue sources successful athletic teams can bring the district. Abandonment also includes facilities and paying proven coaches who can make the district teams competitive.
The Athletic Department has to be running at a huge deficit based on the number of fans who attend games in all sports. This is in addition to the revenue opposing teams lose because the district has made the decision not to compete.
It is the decision of FWISD, not the opponents, to drag their athletic teams to the cliff of failure. The district has the athletes to compete. Winning programs induce more students to participate in athletics bringing up the programs at every school.
So FWISD fans and the coach who started this with his ill-informed tweet, bang on the door of your district administration office and ask them why they choose to not compete in athletics. Stop blaming your opponents.
Texas Tribune- Fort Worth ISD Salaries

Offline Blakkat9

• Junior High
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 12:29:06 PM »

Passing:

Luke Bishop: 15 of 19 for 203 yards, 2 Touchdowns
Chris Reed: 1 of 1 for 2 yards
Rushing:

Jess Anders: 10 for 110 yards, 4 TD’s
Isaiah Mallory: 3 for 93 yards, 1TD
Ryan Newsome: 7 for 67 yards, 1 TD